[GNC] Thank you

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 6 21:00:38 EDT 2019

Doug,

I have been handling GST in GnuCash for more that 10 years with the ability
to manually define a tax table at least that long. It has been possible to
define accounts to collect GST collected and GST input tax on purchases for
all that time. Not fully automatic, not specific to AUS GST, and no reports
but it wasn't too hard to extract the quantities from my accounts required
for a BAS statement.

Most of the discussion about setting this up was way back in the archives of
the mailing list and is searchable (as early or earlier than 2010 when I
began using GnuCash and preparing BAS statements using it). The more recent
developments Christopher Lam mentions are more on the reporting side. As the
ATO moves towards direct electronic submission, the requirements are also
becoming a bit more rigid but so far not impossible. Agreed on the offset
financial year. I have not really found a problem just using the custom
settings in the preferences, apart from remembering to do it, but having it
as the default option for a book would be nice and is planned for the next
major release.

The guide also has a section on setting it up under the Business features.
It discusses specifically a sales tax setup but this is easily adopted for
GST type taxes.

The management of changes and mistakes is no problem at all. In most cases
you can simply edit the transaction involved particularly if you do not
formally close your accounts to equity which is not absolutely necessary
given GnuCash's reporting system which calculates the necessary reports
without having to use the formal procedure. The formal closure is also
available if you really need to use it.  If any accounts involved have been
reconciled you will obviously need to re-reconcile them.

If you are sure the errors are not compounded you can also use an adjustment
transaction suitably notated to  correct errors, at least within the same
accounting period. Modifying transactions outside the current period will of
necessity change the results of reports from previous accounting periods
which can be a problem if you have submitted them for tax etc. Tthey can
easily be regenerated and most tax and reporting authorities will generally
allow you to amend previous lodgements, often, but not always without
penalty, if you point it out to them and it is a genuine mistake.

You can generate arbitrary adjustment transactions as needed. I admit you
probably have to have some accounting knowledge to define the correct target
accounts for adjusting and correcting transactions though.

What specific problems have you had with exporting CSV? It is generally a
follow your nose with the selection of the options. Re-importing data
exported generally works but problems have been reported with foreign
currency and stock transactions. Using the default GnuCash Export format
data should be readily importable.

I have a self imposed project to update and try to improve the documentation
for the importers (mainly CSV, OFX and the matching process to existing
accounts and transfer accounts) so I would be interested in any problems you
have encountered, particularly from the perspective of a new user.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens