[GNC] GnuCash 3.7 and Reports

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Tue Sep 10 11:02:17 EDT 2019

Hi Adrien,
> For starters, maybe give the default stylesheet a try and see if it gets you close (or exactly) to what you want. The default now lets you include an image, so you don’t *have* to use Fancy Invoice. Also, maybe play with the banner size. If you don’t need it to be full-width, and more like a logo, that might help.

  Yes, I have given the default stylesheet a try. The results are identical. As I said, the changes I made to the default to create my own are inconsequential.

> Second, pay careful attention to the settings for Rows 1-3 and Left-Right. I noticed that your current settings show ‘Our Details’ as Right, but the 2.6.x version had them as Left.  Try the following:
>
> Row 1 Left: Picture
> Row 1 Right: (empty)
> Row 2 Left: Our Details
> Row 2 Right: Invoice Details
> Row 3 Left: Their Details
>
> This would considerably clean up the display and get you closer to what you had with 2.6.x (though not perfectly)

  Yes, I’m aware that the original invoice has some differences with the new one, but they are orthogonal to the problems I am having. I expected anyone viewing the to be able to see past those differences. Placing “Our Details” on the left does nothing to address the problem I’m having. All the HTML tables are still only taking up about half of the page width.

> Also setting:
>
> .invoice-title { float: right; }
>
> Should place the invoice # right above the other invoice detail so it looks like it is all together.

  As I mentioned in my previous message, I have already included that line in the CSS. It places the invoice number above the right side of the tables, but does not change the position of the right side of the tables to be the right side of the page. With the other modifications I made to the table sizes, the invoice number ends up looking centered with the other table elements taking up the full width of the page.

> Of course, there might be cleaner layouts based on the info you have. Note as well, that if the section ‘Our Details’ takes up too much vertical space to balance out the header, consider placing that info in the ‘Contact’ or ‘Payment to’ sections in Options > Display, and then removing it from File > Properties > Business. If you need them in Properties > Business for some other reason, you can still include them in the "Contact/Payment to" sections and just suppress the output at the top with one or all of the following in Options > Layout > CSS

  I don’t see any point in quibbling about the aesthetic design of the invoice when the basic report is not yet working.

> I’m not sure why that second screenshot is so narrow. There were some stylesheet changes between 2.6.x and now, so that may be the issue. Try exporting the report as an .html file and then opening it with a web browser to see if it looks normal. (and then you can print from there) If that works, maybe file a bug on Fancy Invoice, but double check any customizations first. However, I see your later screenshots seem to be full width, so I’m not sure what is going on there.

  I get the same results in Safari, Chrome, Opera and Firefox using the Default stylesheet.

> Finally, I wouldn't mess with the table sizes. You need all 3 to be 100% so it always fills the whole width and things don’t look messy or cut off as you found with screenshot #7.

  Yes, obviously, messing around with the table sizes is less than ideal. I would like to find a solution that allows the tables to be set at 100%. However, this is currently the only change I have been able to make that brings the invoice even remotely looking good.

Best,
John