[GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Sep 11 13:09:18 EDT 2019

Hi,

Bat <bateast+gnucash at bat.fr.eu.org> writes:

> Hi
>
> this is a subject that appears regularly on the mailing list, but I
> can not find fine answer neither plan to improve the situation.

Um, no, it does not appear regularly.  Indeed, this is the first time in
19 years that someone has asked about paying invoices for multiple
customers with a single payment.

> Some of my customers often pay for their invoices plus for the one of
> other customer. So I get one payment (with one reference) to split to
> multiple invoices.

Color me confused, but why would one customer be paying invoices for
another customer?  Do you pay your neighbor's power bill as well as your
own with one payment?

> The distribution of one payment to several invoices is natural through
> business features if the invoices are for the same customer. But not
> if the invoices belong to several customers.

Right.  Why would a customer pay someone else's invoice?

> So today, I record the payment on the customer’s invoice, go into the
> AR account and verify the splits of the transaction, go into Action ->
> Lots to manually remove the other split from the customer payment lot
> and assign it to the other customer invoice lot.
>
> Is – there a better way to do that ?

There is no way to split a single payment across customers, and I don't
see that ever being supported.  However, you can work around it by using
a suspense account where you process payment for the different customers
into the suspense account, and then manually transfer that suspense
account to your bank.

I'll note that this approach works for single payments for multiple
customers, or even multiple payments for a single customer -- all of
which get deposited together.

> Is – there a plan to allow selecting several customers invoices in
> manage a payment GUI ?

No.

> Thanks

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745