[GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Sep 11 17:24:23 EDT 2019

Op woensdag 11 september 2019 23:14:13 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> > On Sep 11, 2019 w37d254, at 3:26 PM, Fred Smith via gnucash-user <gnucash-
user at gnucash.org> wrote:
> >> Right.  Why would a customer pay someone else's invoice?
> >
> > Parent company paying utilities for its child companies?
>
> Parents paying on their kids accounts, children paying for their parents,
> siblings paying the same. People who each have their own accounts and
> making a payment, but sharing a particular invoice that had to go under
> someone else’s name. (the sibling case is common here, like all paying for
> a gift for the parents that was on one siblings account)
>
> It happens. Maybe not with more frequency than a few times per year unless
> you’ve got some sort of corporate arrangement like Fred noted, but it does
> happen.
>
> As both Derek and I mentioned, a separate suspense account will suffice. Or
> as I also noted, taking the payment entirely from one customer as both
> regular payment and overpayment, then ‘refunding’ the overpayment and
> applying it to the other customer will also work. (One A/R program I used
> required just that workflow)
>
> I can’t see offering this as a specific feature for such a small use case. I
> don’t know of any other accounting/pos/receivables software that offers
> this either, so it isn’t like GnuCash is the odd-one-out here.

Odoo supports this.

And I use this feature to apply a grouped salary payment to each employee's
payroll ('invoice').

That is the support company that handles our payroll administration charges
one payment per month from our bank account but that charge is to be split
over separate 'invoices', one per employee.

The suspense account in gnucash works, but in Odoo I can assign all the
employee invoices to the single payment in one go.

I must admit it's quite handy.

Having said all that I think getting such a feature in gnucash will probably
require breaking a few design assumptions. So that would mean a major change.
I don't see this happening anytime soon :(

Regards,

Geert