[GNC] GnuCash 2.6.12 aborts (core dump) on Ubuntu 16 "hash table assertion failed"

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Sep 13 22:59:29 EDT 2019

> On Sep 13, 2019, at 11:53 AM, GWB <gwb at 2realms.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, GnuCash Users,
>
> Gnucash will begin to start, then abort (crash) when launched, using
> normal startup or gnucash --nofile --debug.  Output from terminal is:
>
> $ gnucash --nofile --debug
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.38
> **
> GLib:ERROR:/build/glib2.0-pjKWYQ/glib2.0-2.48.2/./glib/ghash.c:373:g_hash_table_lookup_node:
> assertion failed: (hash_table->ref_count > 0)
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> So this is some kind of hash table assertion failure?  I have the
> gnucash.trace and apport bug reports as well, but before I send them I
> thought I would ask if someone else has seen this.  I can rollback to
> an earlier version of the file, but I would like to get this
> particular version working now.
>
> I might also copy the file to a Windows machine, and install GnuCash
> there.  Or, possible, copy and upgrade to GnuCash 3, and then try to
> figure out how to move my reports.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!

It's basically a use-after-free situation.

We're not maintaining the 2.6 branch anymore, so your best bet is to upgrade to GnuCash 3.7, the latest release. It's certainly buildable on Ubuntu 16.04, our 3.x CI uses Ubuntu 14.04, but the user-prepared .deb will probably not find the right dependencies.

Regards,
John Ralls