[GNC] Gnucash not obtaining lock Solved

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 17:59:15 EDT 2019

> On Sep 14, 2019, at 5:11 PM, Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> On 9/13/2019 1:50 PM, Bob Hammons wrote:
>> The trouble was Windows Defender in a recent update blocked Gnucash,  Quicken and Open Office data directories.
>> This was in the Ransom ware section
>> Here is a website that explains how to fix this
>> Wasn't very nice of MS to do this without any notice that these programs would be blocked
>> Thanks again for you help I did learn a little more about Windows but something new will pop up I am sure.
> That does not seem to me to be much of an explanation. I don't know about Quicken, but with either OpenOffice (I use LibreOffice) or Gnucash the "data directories" (the directory in which the data lives AND where the lock file will be created) is up to you. Certainly MS didn't block "Documents" (the parent directory where LibreOffice documents likely placed).

Well, actually, yes.

And it makes sense.  They’re trying to protect you from ransomware - software that encrypts your stuff and then offers to give you the decryption key if you pay up.
The idea is that a known list of applications are allowed to touch files in the protected directories, and you can add tru