[GNC] STP (Australia only)

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Sep 14 23:22:45 EDT 2019

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 17:27:02 -0500 (CDT)
David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Liz,
>
> I've played around with a couple of the Free apps that the ATO lists
> on their webpage. Payroller is a web interface app i.e runs on a
> server somewhere that seems pretty easy to use and similarly ClockOn.
> The freebies are generally cloud based and are primarily meant to
> entice you into their paid  solutions in most cases, but there is no
> obligation to do so. Only problem is your data is on their site and
> not retained by your business
>
> I had a look at the developer's page about 6 months ago. I found it
> almost impossible to navigate with a lot of missing information at
> that time. A look a few weeks later and there appeared to be more
> there but still obscure and very hard to follow. I think to get full
> access you have to join the software developers consortium which
> requires you to have an Auskey which in turn requires you to be a
> registered business. A deliberate attempt to cut out the free
> software market. I have an ABN for a publishing operation my wife and
> I setup to self publish her poetry so I might be able to get in using
> that and find out if there is an easy way to interface Gnucash.
>
> David Cousens
The apps shown on the ATO page, as you noted, are there to entice one
into paying later. I have figured out that I will save $8 in stamps
each year if I don't have to send in IAS forms.
What I did work out was that most of those companies are actually using
another company again for the data exchange with the government.

This is the list the ATO provides to help one choose
https://www.ato.gov.au/business/single-touch-payroll/in-detail/low-cost-single-touch-payroll-solutions/

This is the complete ATO list
https://api.gov.au/productregister/

This is an example of a company which actually interfaces with the ATO
https://www.ozedi.com.au/products-and-services/ebms3-as4/
It actually has more information on its website than most of the others
combined.

Incidentally, I did sign up with Payroller which appeared to be as
basic as possible, although I have to provide a fictitious number of
hours each week I work to make the system produce an output.
After I have registered the choice with the ATO I will be able to make
it work and see if it is appropriately functional.

Liz