[GNC] Having trouble trying to use Gnucash instead of Aplos

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Sep 16 08:43:10 EDT 2019

On 9/15/2019 7:03 PM, David Carlson wrote:

> I think other GnuCash users often resort to spreadsheets or other software
> when the GnuCash reports don't meet their needs.
>
> David Carlson

OR additional sets of books (virtual books, etc. )

Using this sort of entity as an example, suppose a church/non-profit
that keeps its books on the cash basis needs to be able to send out
membership statements (and track who has paid their dues, etc.). At the
"price" of additional data entry could have a set of books JUST for that
purpose (invoice members, record payments, produce reports on
"outstanding", etc.). Of course when a membership/dues/donation payment
comes in, would have to be entered there as well as in the main books.
BUT, that would be true if keeping those side records on spreadsheets,
etc.  All I am saying is that gnucash CAN be used that way (instead of a
spreadsheet)

Similarly, an entity with a real "petty cash fund" might use gnucash to
track that separately with a petty cash book << remember, the person in
the office handling petty cash might not be accessing the main books.
Look at a standard accounting text to see how this was usually done <<
how the books, once a month or so, interacted >>

Michael D Novack