[GNC] update quotes hanging

Jon Schewe jpschewe at mtu.net
Mon Sep 23 06:58:36 EDT 2019

I'm using GnuCash 2.6.19 that ships with Ubuntu 18.04. I'm finding that
the update price quotes process is hanging, both from within GnuCash and
from the command line.

I've created a CSV file of all of my commodities and tested them
individual using gnc-fq-dump and they all return fairly quickly. Not all
of them have valid prices, but none hang. Below is the script that I
have used with cron in the past to update my quotes at regular intervals.

When the process is running I can strace it and I find that the perl
process is usually in a write call writing "use of uninitialized value".

Does anyone have suggestions to determine why updating the quotes is
hanging?

Is this a problem with this version of gnucash? I would prefer to stick
with the version of gnucash that comes with my distribution so that I
get automatic updates, however I can build a custom version if that is
what is needed.

#!/bin/sh

ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=XXXXXXX
export ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY
env $(dbus-launch) sh -c 'trap "kill $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID" EXIT;
/usr/bin/gnucash --add-price-quotes
${HOME}/Documents/banking/gnucash/accounts.gnucash' 2>&1 | grep -v
"Found Finance::Quote"

--
http://mtu.net/~jpschewe