[GNC] Yahoo blocking GnuCash Email

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 24 14:24:51 EDT 2019

On 9/24/19 8:57 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> And of course Usenet newsgroups are a way around all of these
> difficulties. They also provide MUCH better thread tracking than any
> email client I've seen. I don't know why Usenet was allowed to either on
> the vine.

Several reasons:

My ISP was, and sort-of still is, my ISP. Originally, they provided
Usenet access. Then, "for better service" they cut out all but the "big
five" news groups, but they did not lower their rates. Later, they cut
out Usenet altogether. Still, they did not lower the rates. So I had to
get Usenet at extra cost from an independent source.

On the newsgroups on which I participated, more and more trolls and
spammers showed up with no knowledge of good manners and politeness.
They did not even know enough to refrain from top posting. Most of them
had no Usenet client, no e-mail client. They did everything using a web
browser. And it showed.

So its use has pretty much ended. Most of what I used to do on Usenet I
now do in e-mail mailing lists.

And the younger people I know do not even use e-mail at all; they use
Facebook messages. And I am told by the younger friends that even that
is old hat and they use something else on their 'cell 'phones.

--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer
  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B