[GNC] Unable to modify existing database

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Sep 25 16:20:34 EDT 2019

My recollection is spotty but that sounds familiar. Maybe related, (or the same person) a few weeks ago someone could only save using Win10 to a thumb drive - for any app. They settled on continuing to do so and not proceeding down the rabbit hole further as far as I know.

If the user has access to their alleged user files, then they aren’t logged in as a guest, so that isn’t the problem.
If permissions are all set to ‘allow’ then that is ruled out.

That would leave either some sort of security measure (as you alluded to) or a drive space issue. (which supposedly isn’t the problem here either)

I’m not familiar with Win10’s security measures at the moment. Perhaps they have some sort of ’trusted apps’ list where GnuCash can be white-listed similar to firewall settings.

What is odd is that if this is the issue, why aren’t *many* more people reporting problems? (there are certainly plenty of Win10 users here)

Regards,
Adrien

p.s. -a cursory web search turns up some advice linked to Windows Defender ‘Controlled Folder Access’. The suggestion is to turn this feature off. I should think though one could white-list an app instead so it isn’t all or nothing, but I don’t have a copy of Win10 to verify that hunch.