[GNC] Trouble with import and splits

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Sep 26 19:20:33 EDT 2019

AFAIK the import process for securites and transactions with currency changes
is problematical even when importing data re-exported from GnuCash. It is on
my list of things to test out systematically and document. I imported some
dual- currency transactions after a trip to Singpore earlier this year. I
had to do quite a bit of fiddling with the price before I managed to get it
to make sense and work. part of that was my own inexperience in doing it and
that capability was new in v3 and has yet to be documented fully.

I had one attempt at creating a dummy security export and re-importing when
Geert first rewrote the importer for V3, which didn't work. It found the
available documentation on the importer not too helpful and decided I needed
to understand the operation of the importer with simpler cases first and
document that before getting back to securities.

One thing you could try is to create a correct dummy transaction of the
type(s) you need to import, export them to CSV using the multi-split
multi-line ( default GnuCash Export Format) and then try reimporting them
into GnuCash using the same format.  If that works you can examine the CSV
export format and put your import data in the same format before trying to
import it.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens