[GNC] Goods and Services Tax - GST

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:31:23 EDT 2020

Hi

(Screenshot containing private data snipped)

The first rule here is that support emails are always public because others
may want to help.

It seems you have set the Preferences > Accounts > Reverse Balanced
accounts to 'Credit accounts' which is fine.

It also seems that the GST Paid and GST Returns filed are negative --
depending on the preference above, this may be fine; but the parent account
adding the values as described would suggest that they may be incorrect
account type.

It seems your GST Sales > GST Purchases, so, I'd suggest the following
structure, with top-level GST account:

GST [Liability]
GST:Collected on Sales [Liability]
GST:Paid on Purchases [Asset]
GST:Paid to IRD [Liability]

Thus all values would usually be positive with 'credit accounts' reversal
option.

You can also try the "Income & GST Statement" report to assist with your
periodic filing.