[GNC] Assigning TXF Category to Returns & Allowances Income Account Issue

Keith Fetterman keithfetterman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 17:52:09 EDT 2020

I am assigning the tax (TXF) categories to my income and expense accounts, and I have run into an issue with assigning the tax category to my “Returns & Allowances” income account.  The tax category "Schedule C Returns and Allowances” category appears for expense accounts, but not income accounts.  There seems to be a mistake in GnuCash because the “Returns & Allowances” account should appear in the income section of an income statement.  It appears in the income section of the IRS Schedule C form.  I looked up what a “Returns & Allowances” account is, and it’s defined as a contra-revenue account.

Is this a defect in Gnucash or do I have the account in the wrong place?

Thanks for the help
Keith