[GNC] Australian Foreign Investments Taxation

Ben Stanley ben.stanley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:52:42 EDT 2020

Hello Gnucash Users,

I have now downloaded the foreign exchange rates from the Reserve Bank
of Australia:
https://rba.gov.au/statistics/historical-data.html#exchange-rates

Note that the exchange rate data is published in an Excel .xls file. I
used LibreOffice to save it as a .csv for import into GnuCash.

In this file, the dates are formatted as DD-Mon-YYYY. For example:
18-May-2019

GnuCash cannot understand dates formatted this way. (I tested against
git 3.9-19 on branch maint.)

I made some modifications to gnucash/libgnucash/engine/gnc-datetime.cpp
that allow GnuCash to import the RBA data with word date months. The
changes are very rough, and do not include any internationalisation. I
would appreciate constructive feedback. Flames -> /dev/null.

I note here that I have not tested this patch with dates of format
DD-MM-YYYY.

Perhaps I should sign up to the gnucash-devel mailing list...

Ben.