[GNC] Price of gold

Eric Coates TwistedWood at talktalk.net
Wed Apr 8 12:18:16 EDT 2020

Hi

A little earlier today, following Frank's contribution, I did an experiment.

I have an account denominated in XAU (but my book currency is GBP) and
I did a "get quotes" within GnuCash. The gold price that came back was
about 1050 (I assumed this would be GBPs per Troy ounce) but looking at
two different UK sites the "retail price" of gold was about £1330 per
Troy ounce.

It was the difference between these numbers that prompted my question
and John's information doesn't help me resolve the difference.(I rather
suspect that the problem arises because of the convolutions of the
currency conversions. But what do I know?)

For completeness: I'm running GnuCash 3.7 with Finance:Quote 1.49 using
Yahoo as JSON as the source of quotes for my shares (I can't see
how/where currency prices are obtained)  on Ubuntu 19.10.

Eric

PS:As I only revalue my portfolio on a monthly basis it's no big deal to
enter a gold price manually so, as I say, it's just out of interest.
Thanks for indulging me.