[GNC] Should i care about Unrealized Losses/Gain in Balance Sheet ?

Long Phamhoanglongvn at outlook.com
Wed Apr 8 15:13:50 EDT 2020

Hello,

I have posted a topic about this, but that topic have been spammed. So i
created new one to resolve my question.

First, i'm not an accounting, and trying to stay away accounting language,
trying to make anything to easier to understand for me, and who have the
same question like me. OK, my question is :
-----------
I have 2 Bank accounts, one for my default currency, and other is USD in
GnuCash. In my real life, i usually buy USD by my VND, Then, I will sell USD
to get VND back. (included gold ... but i just want to talk about USD, it's
the same thing to do in GnuCash).
So, i setup the price database (GnuCash 3.9) for USD, i assume the rate is 1
USD = 2 VND for first time i bought. So my accounts :
-----------
Assets: 40 VND
-- VND Bank : 20 VND
-- USD Bank  : 10 USD -- 20 VND
Equity : 40 VND
-----------
Next month, The rate changed : 1USD = 3VND
Assets : 50 VND
-- VND Bank : 20 VND
-- USD Bank : 10 USD -- 30 VND
Equity : 40 VND
-----------
Ok, the problem here, My Balance Sheet report now show in the equity tab
that had "Unrealized Gain" about 10 VND.
I knew that it's mean the rate of the USD are increasing so my assets are
increasing too.
But, It's also "Unrealized Gain" and not the "Realized Gain" in the report
when i transferred that USD to VND Bank. (Which mean, when USD rate high, i
sell it by transfer that money from USD Bank to VND Bank in GnuCash, of
course in my real life i do the same thing).
My accounts at that time:
Assets: 50 VND
-- VND Bank : 50 VND
-- USD Bank : 0
Equity : 40VND
-----------
1
 - So,i really don't need to care about that "Words" in the Balance Sheet
Report ?
2
 - If i need to care about it, What should i do to change it from
"Unrealized" to "Realized" (Please give me example for this).
P/s : I had read documents from GnuCash, and it's look like very hard to
understand for me. And i don't turned on the "Trading account", look like it
is the old way for solving this in the older version of GnuCash. i only
created account with USD currency and setup the price database.

Thank you so much. Please help me.
Regards.