[GNC] How to change "Unrealized Gain/Loss" to "Readlized Gain/Loss" in Balance Sheet ?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Apr 10 09:58:09 EDT 2020

On 4/10/2020 6:15 AM, Long wrote:
> Please help me. Is it possible? If yes, please give me an example .

I think you do not understand the concepts.  The underlying accounting
concepts as opposed to how gnucash is working.

First -- do you understand the difference between "cash based" and
"accrual based"? If not, go back over the basics until you do understand
because that is fundamental to understanding "unrealized" vs "realized".

Second -- which of these are you using, cash or accrual? USUALLY
personal books are kept cash, business books accrual (but custom is cash
for some sorts) and if engaged in certain activities might not have a
choice, the gov't might dictate. Organizations can usually choose which.

We can advise you HOW (to do using gnucash) only after we have settled
the WHAT you should be doing. So answer question #2 and then get back to
us.  But we may also have additional questions as to the PURPOSE of your
books (what are you expecting them to tell you )

Michael D Novack

PS: A brief history of double entry bookkeeping might also be useful. In
the early days (hundreds of years ago) the temporary accounts of type
income and expense did not exist and all transactions immediately
affected equity. But books were also only kept "cash basis".