[GNC] How to Realized Gain/Loss when turned on trading account ?

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 11 00:13:12 EDT 2020

Long

Selinger's guide is not specifically a guide to doing things in GnuCash but
a general discussion of the accounting approaches that can be used. Which
specific section of Selinger's guide are you referring to - which section
which table and which line in the table.

There isn't AFAIK any information specifically on Trading account in the
Help manual or Guide at this stage. What information does exist is in the
wiki pages
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Trading_Accounts.

The GnuCash treatment in Trading Accounts I think was developed from
Selinger's article so the Wiki may make it a bit clearer. I can't offer much
further help on them as I don't personally use them except maybe once every
couple of years if I travel overseas. I have a broad understanding of how
they are used from an accounting perspective as I have a formal background
in accounting but I don't know much of the details of how they are
implemented in GnuCash. Some features like these and the Business Features
may use specific named accounts in their implementation. Someone else who
makes use of trading accounts may be able to offer more detailed advice on
how they function.

Long, Just to give you a bit of background on the project and the forums:

Most of the people responding on the User forum are largely other users of
GnuCash although the group of major developers do chime in when the rest of
us get something wrong or they are not otherwise engaged working on aspects
of the program. We vary considerably both in our background knowledge of
accounting from having an understanding of formal accounting through to self
taught and some of the self taught people are pretty good. We all also use
GnuCash for many different purposes, personal finances, tracking share
trading, monitoring investments, accounting for small businesses etc so we
all have a different perrspective on your problem. The users who contribute
and the developers are all volunteers and many if not most have full time
jobs. Some of us are users but also make minor contributions  to the program
coding and or the documentation. The documentation, particularly of newer
features often lags behind the development because it is often done by
people who haven't developed the code and who only work out what GnuCash is
doing be experimenting with it and talking with others who have a better
knowledge of the code. GnuCash has been around for a long time and some code
dates form its inception. Many if not most of the people who wrote the code
are no longer associated with the project. Often documentaion on newer
aspects or aspects under development will be found in the USER and DEV
forums  and in the FAQ's on the GnuCash Wiki site and the breakout pages
from the main Wiki page. Some of this will eventually find it's way into the
documentation. As users we also sometimes come up against problems in
GnuCash and will be distracted while trying to sort them out. When you ask a
new question you cannot necessarily assume that someone who can provide an
answer will necessarily have read previous questions although you can expect
that we will have read through the replies and discussion threads of the
current question, although not always. It pays to make questions as specific
as you can and provide enough background detail that responders will have
some context, particularly when the question is in a new thread.

David

-----
David Cousens