[GNC] Keeping Imported Transactions from Overwriting Data?

Eric H. Bowen eric at ehbowen.net
Sat Apr 11 11:10:20 EDT 2020

I've been using GnuCash for my personal finances, and I've noticed one
annoying problem. When I write a paper check, I put the payee's name and
associate information in the "Description" and "Notes" field. But, when
I import transactions from my credit union (usually with QFX) prior to
reconciling, the data I entered is overwritten with "PAID CHECK
0000XXXX" and "OFX ext. info: |Trans type:Check|Memo:Paid Check
000000XXXX", which is sorta less than helpful when I'm attempting to
identify transactions later. For personal transactions I can usually
reconstruct the data by going online, but it's a pain.

I'm concerned, though, because I'm wanting to implement GnuCash for our
church's bookkeeping. I haven't yet tried downloading from our church's
bank, but if it overwrites information, especially deposit information
which we will use to keep track of offerings and contributions, it could
be a disaster. Is there any way of still downloading to match and clear
transactions, but to keep the download from overwriting manually entered
data?