[GNC] Strange reconciliation behavior

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Apr 12 18:04:16 EDT 2020

Art,

Are you using GnuCash V3.9 If you are please either revert to 3.8 or upgrade
to the newly released 3.10 version which reverts changes in 3.9 if the
following is causing your problem.

The problem I encountered in 3.9 was that the starting balance did not
include reconciled transactions which had a reconciliation date in advance
of today. My problem was caused by a finger problem on my part in entering
the statement end date as 31/12/20 instead of 31/12/2018  on a recent
reconciliation and GnuCash interprets this as 31/12/2020 and sets the
reconciliation dates in advance of TODAY as a consequence. Chris Lam's
changes in V3.9 excluded transactions with a reconciliation date in advance
of  one of [TODAY, the end date of the current statment, or the end date of
the previous statement]( not sure which) from the calculation of the
Starting Balance for the reconciliation for the current reconciliation.

If you run a reconciliation report that covers the previous period it will
show the date recorded as the reconciliation date for each affected split,
which should have been the end date of the statement you reconciled against.
If you don't have advance reconciliation dates. yours may be a separate
problem specifically associated with the stock accounts.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens