[GNC] Delayed Direct Payment of Sales Tax from Vendor Bill?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Apr 15 14:39:06 EDT 2020

It would probably be easier to treat this as a separate ‘use tax’ type transaction where you recognize the liability independent of the invoice. (some jurisdictions impose a tax on items used in business that otherwise wasn’t charged sales tax for some reason)

So a separate transaction like:

Dr. Expenses:Taxes:Sales
  Cr. Liabilities:Sales Tax Payable

This lets you pay the vendor bill as-is in full and still track and pay the sales tax liability separately. (with the rest of your accumulated sales tax liability)

Alternatively, if you don’t want to unpost and re-edit the bill and keep the tax on it, then you can ‘pay’ the remainder of the bill with the Sales Tax Payable account. (you can pay a liability with a liability)

Thus you can pay the bill partially (but fully as actually invoiced from the vendor) and transfer the remaining tax amount from the special AP account to Sales Tax Payable.

Note, this would be two separate payments, one from cash/check/card/other for the vendor’s portion, and a second ‘payment’ from Sales Tax Payable.

Note, the tax on the bill (as part of the bill) should post to an expense account, not a liability account. It could be an accrued expense account that you then shift later as needed, however.

Regards,
Adrien