[GNC] About bookkeeping and claiming non-currency expenses.

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Apr 17 12:17:57 EDT 2020

I could be misunderstanding, but I think the question is about tracking deductions for expenses that are already accounted for. I don’t see it as cash vs. non-cash. (such as in-kind)

For example, you have personal auto expenses that may or may not be broken out into R&M, Fuel, etc. Those are paid cash/check/charge and are accounted for in full.

Some tax authorities allow you a deduction from taxable income for using your auto for certain purposes, like a pass-thru business.

One option would be something like:

Dr. Liabilities:Tax Due
  Cr. Expenses:Taxes

with a memo about what the deduction is for.

This might be an issue depending on how the main Expenses:Taxes transaction is entered and calculated. It would have to be entered as if no deduction were taken for things to balance properly, or else reverse the various credits and just enter the net transaction at filing.

Regards,
Adrien