[GNC] Balance sheet unusable for LANG="de..."; was: Bad account setup in Guide §12

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Apr 17 17:50:25 EDT 2020

Frank,

It is not clear to me,the extent to which the gains and losses claculated are realized or unrealized. For example if I
transfer $1000 AUD to USD at one exchange rate and then transfer $300 USD of it back at a different exchange rate the
AUD trading account records the difference between the amount traded in the first transaction and the amount received
back in the second. What is reported as a Trading Loss in the balance sheet, appears to be the difference between the
AUD and USD trading accounts, from a a couple of simple experiments in this case. It is not until the whole amount
initially transferred is transferred back that the balance represents an actual realized gain or loss.  In this case one
could have an unrealized gain or loss on the amount that is still held in the foreign currency account and a realized
gain or loss on the amount which has been transferred back.  I have not done enough experimentation at this stage
(and/or looked at the Scheme code) to understand fully what is happening and what is being reported where under what
circumstances.

I think I need to document that first and develop test cases where I can manually calculate the gains and
losses both unrealized and realized to establish how they are actually being treated with the trading accounts in each
case before raising any alarms with the rest of the developers unnecessarily. Once that is known then if I can determine
under what circumstances realized gains and losses are reported in profit and loss and when in equity and when and where
unrealized gains and losses are also reported.

At that point I can look at the reporting requirements in a few major
jurisdictions. Then I can make a decent case to the rest of the developers as to what needs to be done if anything-
possibly some general reporting options that a user can set to direct the realized and unrealized gains appropriately
for a given jurisdiction. It may be posssible that this has been examined already but it won't hurt to have a check on
it anyway and doing this will allow me to create documentation on the trading accounts.

This doesn't affect where
realized and unrealized gains and losses are reported if you are doing manual calculations of them. Whether you position
the relevant accounts under income and/or expense or in equity should determine where they are reported, at least in
principle. I remember  some discussion in the past as to how tostructure the report when you had both manually calculate
gains and losses for some situations and also had trading losses on forex transactions.

Hopefully this is not a goose chase and opening the can of worms will catch some fish.

Cheers

David

--
Dr David R Cousens