[GNC] Gnucash logs

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 26 10:38:41 EDT 2020

Hopefully the developers will take note that this is not only
longstanding but fairly frequently requested -- and the present behavior
is a source of consternation to a significant proportion of new GC
users. The introduction of GC 4.x would be a great time to make this change.

Easy for me to say of course, but I don't think it would be that hard to
add a setting in the GUI and have whatever writes the logs and lock file
use that setting.

And I would urge strongly that the setting should default to the normal
location for temp files, not to the same location as the data file.
Again, I'm thinking of the new user who is surprised to find dozens or
even hundreds of extra files in the working directory after a long
session when getting acquainted with GC.  The normal location is %TEMP%
in Windows. I don't know what it is in other operating systems, but I'm
sure our developers do.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com