[GNC] Gnucash logs

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 26 15:33:18 EDT 2020

On 2020-04-26 07:46, Maf. King wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 April 2020 15:38:41 BST Stan Brown wrote:
>> And I would urge strongly that the setting should default to the normal
>> location for temp files, not to the same location as the data file.
>> Again, I'm thinking of the new user who is surprised to find dozens or
>> even hundreds of extra files in the working directory after a long
>> session when getting acquainted with GC.  The normal location is %TEMP%
>> in Windows. I don't know what it is in other operating systems, but I'm
>> sure our developers do.
>>

> Hi Stan,
>
> just an observation.
>
> /tmp on linux is usually world readable... not a great idea for a default
> place to write potentially sensitive financial info.

Hi, Maf!  I accept that it is as you say in Linux, but it does seem a
strange choice. Where do Linux apps put their temp files, if /tmp is not
suitable since it is world readable? Surely a best practice already
exists for such situations, no?

But in default of that I would support Adrien's proposal for a
subdirectory. Anything to avoid putting them in a folder where theyh get
in the way!

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com