[GNC] Gnucash logs

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 12:19:00 EDT 2020

On 4/27/2020 11:56 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2020, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
>
>> doesn't adjusting Edit->Preferences->General:Retain log/backup files
>> bring
>> some relief?
>
> Frank,
>
> Not here. long ago I set log/backup retention for 1 day but they
> accumulate
> until I manually remove them, perhaps once a month. Pehaps the
> reference is
> for a Venusian day? :-) (Version 3.10 is installed, but it was the
> same in
> prior versions.)

If true THAT should be be a bug report.

For those who are only opening books at unpredictably infrequent
intervals, try this. Put your gnucash data file into a directory with
nothing else. Then that's where the logs will go (and the lock file when
the data file is open). Now it will be easy to remove the clutter, just
delete everything in the directory but the data file (when the data file
is closed, the lock file won't be there)

The suggestion "put the logs somewhere else" might be ignoring the
possibility of multiple gnucash data files with the same name (which
they can have if in different directories)

Michael  Novack