[GNC] How to record it into gnucash ?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Apr 27 13:22:05 EDT 2020

Long,

Along with what Michael advised, you can do this with one extra account, or two. The choice is yours. I’m going to use very general account names, but you could use ‘Owed to me’ or ‘Given to me’ if you like

Two accounts model:
===================

Assets:Remibursements:Bob
Liabilities:Deposits:Bob

If you pay a bill for ‘Bob' before he gives you money then:

Dr. Assets:Remibursements:Bob
  Cr. Assets:Cash

When Bob pays you back:

Dr. Assets:Cash
  Cr. Assets:Remibursements:Bob

If ‘Bob' gives you money in advance (your second scenario):

Dr. Assets:Cash
  Cr. Liabilities:Deposits:Bob

When you pay the bill for Bob:

Dr. Liabilities:Deposits:Bob
  Cr. Assets:Cash

*The benefit to using two extra accounts is that you record each event as it really was. In the first scenario, you are owed money (an asset) and in the second, you owe someone else (a liability). But the drawback is that you can’t readily see the net of the reimbursements or deposits at a glance for a single individual. (even if you use individual sub accounts like ‘Bob’) Therefore, I’d recommend just using one extra account.

One account model:
==================

The first scenario is the same, you pay the bill first, Bob pays you back later. You use the ‘Assets:Reimbursements:Bob’ account.

The second scenario will also use this account but with the debits and credits to the same account like so:

If Bob gives you money in advance (your second scenario):

Dr. Assets:Cash
  Cr. Assets:Reimbursements:Bob

When you pay the bill for Bob:

Dr. Assets:Reimbursements:Bob
  Cr. Assets:Cash

Now, everything is done in one account. If the value of the account is positive, Bob owes you. (an asset) If the value is negative, you owe Bob. (a contra-asset)

You might repay Bob by paying his bill as agreed, or by returning his cash.

Note, if Bob normally always pays in advance, you could still use a single account but make it the Liability:Deposits variety instead of Assets:Reimbursements. Which one is a personal choice, but I’d only use one or the other for sanity as I noted above.

------

Also, you *could* use the business features for this but that is going to be more work than necessary. For occasional transactions, I’d stick with manual entries. I use the ‘One Account’ method for various shared expenses with friends and family regularly. I have an asset account for each friend or family member so I can see at a glance if I owe them (negative) or they owe me (positive).

Regards,
Adrien