[GNC] Gnucash logs

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 18:21:52 EDT 2020

On 4/27/2020 12:47 PM, D. wrote:
> However, the preference setting and storage location of log files is comparing apples and oranges, regardless of whether the setting works or not. Many people want to have their primary data file in one folder (if you take the uservoice data as any indication), and their log files placed elsewhere, available in an emergency, but tucked away out of sight. Sort of like a toilet.
>
> It's too bad the RFE had never been taken up. It doesn't seem like it would be that insurmountable to achieve.
>
> David T.

Yes, I understand that, but please look at what I wrote about the issues.

Your say "their file" but the general case is files (plural) and while
the names might be distinct they might not be. For example, could be
"....ledger.gnucash" in all cases, one being in the directory
business1financials, one being in organization1financials, one being in
personalbooks, etc.  That would work just fine. But what would happen if
gnucash wrote log files  (and the lock file) in some place other as you
think would be good.

How would you (or gnucash) know which file was open (which had lock) or
if wanting to restore, which log file?

Yes I know, if people wisely chose not to do that (not to allow name
duplication) what you want would work, but I did this for a living and
trying to prevent users getting in to trouble part of that. If you think
same name strange, I keep books for several entities. Each entity has
its own directory, but the gnucash data file is usually just
booksyear.gnucash and the exported reports names like
balancesheetfiscaldate.html << the year is just because I make a copy
after YE named for the new year and can make the old one read only >>

Michael