[GNC] notify when new version is available?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Apr 28 09:57:40 EDT 2020

On the other hand, implementing it wouldn't be too hard to do.  Not
everyone updates their systems every day/week, so just knowing there is a
more recent version if, for no other reason than to notify their
distribution or look there, isn't a BAD thing.

I'll note that there are other systems, even with packaging, that notify
of updates.  This is especially true of cross-platform systems.  E.g.,
Chrome, Firefox..  Even the Unifi Controller software notifies of updates.

Granted, I don't consider this a high priority, but a small, click-away
popup or corner-notification on app startup seems like a reasonable
feature to me.

-derek

On Tue, April 28, 2020 9:46 am, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On platforms with an app store or package manager this doesn't make sense.
> It's the
> responsibility of those to inform the user of application updates. And on
> these platforms it would
> be silly for each app to reinvent that wheel.
>
> I am aware many applications on Windows will notify you when a new release
> is available. That
> platform doesn't have a strong package manager or app store story.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> Op dinsdag 28 april 2020 05:46:39 CEST schreef Ed Love:
>> Thanks for moving it somewhere clearer. I'm surprised more people don't
>> want this feature, it's bog standard in most programs I use every day.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>>      Ed

>> > You should read more precise. The FAQ has several links to
>> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists. And there is:
>> > * gnucash-announce: a low traffic Announcement list, e.g. for package
>> > maintainers.
>> >
>> > OK, it was hidden in the  section
>> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists#Mailing_Lists_for_Development_
>> > Topics. I have moved it to
>> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists#Announcements
>> >
>> > And I will revew "Tip of the day" to incorporate it there.
>> >
>> > How should we the FAQ?
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Frank

>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745