[GNC] notify when new version is available?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Apr 28 10:16:36 EDT 2020

At Tue, 28 Apr 2020 09:57:40 -0400 "Derek Atkins" <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, implementing it wouldn't be too hard to do.  Not
> everyone updates their systems every day/week, so just knowing there is a
> more recent version if, for no other reason than to notify their
> distribution or look there, isn't a BAD thing.
>
> I'll note that there are other systems, even with packaging, that notify
> of updates.  This is especially true of cross-platform systems.  E.g.,
> Chrome, Firefox..  Even the Unifi Controller software notifies of updates.
>
> Granted, I don't consider this a high priority, but a small, click-away
> popup or corner-notification on app startup seems like a reasonable
> feature to me.

If anyone every implements this, *PLEASE* provide a configuration or CLI
option to disable it.  *I* don't want any application I use to "phone home" on
start up everytime (or to phone home *ever* for any reason).  Or at worst,
only implement it under MS-Windows (eg with #ifdef WINDOWS or whatever), since
only MS-Windows users would have any reason for it -- the rest of us have
various other ways of knowing about updates.

> -derek
>
> On Tue, April 28, 2020 9:46 am, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > On platforms with an app store or package manager this doesn't make sense.
> > It's the
> > responsibility of those to inform the user of application updates. And on
> > these platforms it would
> > be silly for each app to reinvent that wheel.
> >
> > I am aware many applications on Windows will notify you when a new release
> > is available. That
> > platform doesn't have a strong package manager or app store story.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert
> >
> > Op dinsdag 28 april 2020 05:46:39 CEST schreef Ed Love:
> >> Thanks for moving it somewhere clearer. I'm surprised more people don't
> >> want this feature, it's bog standard in most programs I use every day.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help!
> >>
> >>      Ed

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > -----

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364