[GNC] Gnucash logs

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 19:02:25 EDT 2020

On 4/28/2020 1:14 PM, D. wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I purposefully *didn't* say in this email "almost all users have only one set of books"; I said "I believe that many users only keep one set of books," and I very specifically noted that I do not have statistics regarding the uses to which gnucash is put. Neither do you. Your use experience and mine are different. Who's to say yours is more valid than mine?
>
> As for the problem itself, I didn't suggest per book log folders precisely because my use case doesn't need it, but once you raised it,  I made a logical amendment to the suggestion. Is there a problem with that solution? Your tone suggests that there is.

I will try again ....

There would be no problem with gnucash creating a directory for the log
files in the directory where the data file is. I was saying that IF that
had been what was initially suggested I would have said nothing because
that WOULD work for the general case.

My concerns about "exception cases" is because I did software for a
living. It doesn't matter if it is "many" or "almost all" but whether
are ANY users who would have multiple books. And that is why I switched
it to "almost all", because OK even for almost all is not good enough.
Software that fails for ANY cases is bugged software.

Michael