[GNC] Change account type by editing XML?

david whiting dw at davidwhiting.me.uk
Wed Apr 29 16:43:47 EDT 2020

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 21:33, Stephen M. Butler <kg7je at arrl.net> wrote:

> On 4/29/20 1:21 PM, david whiting wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 20:48, Adrien Monteleone
> > <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
> >> 1. Create new accounts as the proper type in the proper place in the tree.
> >>
> >> 2. Delete each of the current accounts, one at a time, you wish to change.
> >>
> >> 3. GnuCash will ask you, for each deletion, what you want to do with the transactions the account currently contains.
> >>
> >> 4. Choose the option to re-assign them to the corresponding new account.
> >>
> >> Since they are both assets (A/R is an asset) this should go smoothly.
> >>
> >> Do a test with one account on a copy of the data file just to be sure there are no unforseen issues.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Adrien
> >>
> > Unfortunately the only accounts that show up in the "Move to" dialogue
> > are other A/R accounts, no other asset accounts are visible. I've
> > verified this by creating a new account outside of the A/R hierarchy
> > with type A/R. It was then visible in the list of accounts. I selected
> > it and deleted the transactions so they moved to this new A/R account
> > outside of the A/R hierarchy. But once that had been done, I could no
> > longer change the type of that account.
> Ouch!  Sounds like a bug or that the A/R account type is locked down too
> tight.

I'm hoping that directly editing the XML file will be the way to do it
because I have close to 1,000 accounts to move and doing them all by
clicking through the gui is not something I'm looking forward to (it's
why I haven't done it yet, having realised a year or so ago that they
are in the wrong place). I'm going to sleep on it and over the next
day or so I'll look more carefully at the XML file, see how the IDs
relate to each other etc. to see if there is any difference between
ASSETs and RECEIVABLEs in terms of how the data are stored.

David