[GNC] Gnucash logs

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 00:04:10 EDT 2020

Hi Geert,

I think options 2-5 are too disruptive and more work than the benefits deserve.

Re option 1,

I’d prefer to put logs and backups in separate folders. Maybe (going with your name) book.dir/backup and book.dir/log. Many people seem to be confused about what all these long filenames are when mixed together.

Also putting the metadata (book.gcm) in book.dir would make if hard to notice, so I think it should be in the folder holding book.gnucash (or maybe a separate ‘metadata’ subfolder as some people think the metadata file is their book).

Not having all the metadata files for multiple books in the same folder means it is more fiddly to share metadata between multiple books by giving the books the same name (books in different directories) but there is probably nobody doing that anyway (as it is easy to get confused about which book is open).

Regards,

Chris Good