[GNC] Reporting combinations of accounts

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Thu Apr 30 04:31:02 EDT 2020

On 29 April 2020 at 17:51, Ruaraidh said:

> I'm in the UK where married couples are taxed separately and have to file
> separately. I'm not a tax expert, but I've just googled it and find
> confirmation on both government and accountants' web sites: husbands and
> wives (the words used on the web sites - I'm not sure about other types of
> couple) have been taxed independently since 1990.
>
> So, interestingly, the original GnuCash question seems irrelevant in the
> USA, but still relevant here. You are lucky!

Gnucash isn't going to fill in your tax return for you. You have to check
HMRC's figures against your P60, for example, and fill in the Dividends
and Interest sections yourself.

However, it's not exactly rocket science to use Gnucash to allocate
taxable savings interest from a given source to one of three Income
accounts depending on whether the underlying savings are held by you,
your other half, or jointly, so that come tax return time you have the
totals ready to hand. (Obviously you'd want further accounts for
non-taxable income).