[GNC] Reporting transactions

Ruaraidh Sackville Hamilton ruaraidh.sh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 11:00:09 EDT 2020

Indeed the government's contribution appears correctly as income however
it's recorded, as it is a genuine income. No problem there. The personal
contribution is not an income as it doesn't increase my net worth - it's
just a transfer from one account to another.  And you are right,
the government contribution is not taxable income and doesn't go in the tax
report as an income.

All OK so far.

But we still have to include the personal and government contributions in
the tax report. I'm not sure the reason is relevant, but for what it's
worth, they use this information to adjust the threshold between basic rate
and higher rate tax.

Perhaps I'm coming at it from the wrong angle. It's not right to expect
these contributions to appear in a report of income and expenses. Perhaps I
need a separate transaction report.

Thanks everyone for your patience, as I try to learn what GnuCash can do!