[GNC] non-currency liabilities

dann frazier dannf at dannf.org
Sat Aug 1 19:21:58 EDT 2020

Hi,

  I'm trying to figure out the right way to represent a non-currency
debt in gnucash. That is, I'd like to be able to record that I *owe*
20 shares of FooFund. I thought I'd just create a Mutual Fund
Liability account, but apparently Mutual Funds and Liabilities are
mutually exclusive. Is that restriction by design?

  One of the reasons I want to do this is for a college fund. I'd like
to keep track of the fund value in an account, but also "keep it off
the books" in a sense when it comes to Asset vs. Liability
calculations, as I consider it both something I have and something I
owe. I tried doing this by creating an Asset account and a Liability
account that grow together, and cancel each other out, but I couldn't
get that to work since it won't let me make the Liability a security.
Is there a better way to do this?

  -dann