[GNC] Installing on Windows 10 (with Defender)

nvsoar nvsoar at charter.net
Mon Aug 3 14:24:10 EDT 2020

On 08/03/20 08:06, GTI .H wrote:
> Em seg., 3 de ago. de 2020 às 00:41, Peter West <lists at pbw.id.au> escreveu:
>
>> My brother-in-law in the US (I’m in Oz) tried on my recommendation to
>> install Gnucash 4.1 from the gnucash.org <http://gnucash.org/> site.
>>
>> The install was initially blocked by Defender, but he managed to overcome
>> that. When he tried to run the program, the complaint was about missing
>> .dll files in C:\Program files (x86)\gnucash\bin\
>>
>> As I don’t know about Windows 10, can someone please tell me the way to
>> perform the install correctly in this case?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> For many years I installed GnuCahs on Windows 10 with defender enabled
> using the .exe installation file.
>
> I've never had any problems.
>
> I'm currently running v4.1 well, and it was the first master update that I
> haven't noticed any problems with so far.
>
> *Congratulations DEVs!*
>

> --
> Regards
Sounds to me that there is a fault in the downloaded install file. I
suggest re-downloading the .exe file; checkg the hash code for accuracy
of the downloaded file; and then installing the new download file.

Do not believe the Defender is problem.  Windows will ask if you really
want to install the GnuCash install file.
All the best, nvsoar