[GNC] help to set up equity sub-accounts opening balances

Marilyn Graves Kimple mgkimple at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 11:07:04 EDT 2020

I have used double-entry bookkeeping although I am not trained. In the past I have used what I called 'fund' accounts as sub-accounts for my equity account: home maintenance, tithe, and emergency savings, for example. I divide my 'profits' each month and accrue them through an expense account to accounts which are part of my total equity.
The object is to keep a running total for expenses which are typically annual rather than a month-by-month total. Can I do this with GnuCash? I think I really need to do this.
Setting up my accounts initially I tried setting up sub-accounts under the parent Equity, and then under the Equity sub-account Opening Balances, and it only allows me to transfer to Open Balances in each case. The funds in my assets/liabilities account are not transferable 1 to 1 to one of these other accounts.
I may have to change the way I do things, but I would really appreciate help with this.  mgk