[GNC] OFX Import matcher user input memo / description enhancement

Jeff Albrecht jeffa at rodaw.com
Wed Aug 5 13:28:15 EDT 2020

Devs and users,

I want to add a short text entry somewhere on many of my transactions
that are being imported and matched. Specifically if I bought some
goodie, dodad or whatnot from ePay or Amizoned I'd like to add what the
item was in my GNUCash check register.

_My Current Workflow_
Ignore monthly reminders to import .OFX
Do six to twelve months at a time
Download the .OFX from my bank
Import the .OFX
Match obvious like Netflix, utilities, grocers etc... that don't need a
memo.
Move the remaining unmatched transactions into a temporary register, for
instance 'UnAcountedFor2020' where I can add some arbitrary text to a
memo or description field.
Then lookup transactions on the vendor websites and try to jog my memory
what a a transaction was actually for. This may be handy for reordering,
or explaining to my Accountant. For instance in the following image
replacement nozzles for my pressure washer, this text string was copied
from the vendor, Amazon, orders list item description. Copy and Paste.

Next I highlight the UnAccountedFor2020 and utilize the 4.x partial
pattern matcher which again, is so COOL, such a time saver. (Maybe have
a short list at the top of the picker of the last ten accounts selected?
This would leave my hand on the mouse for many of the transactions)
I continue this until the UnAccountedFor2020 register is empty.
I've noticed that the yellow line which has the 'UnAccountedFor2020' is
always blank in the memo/description. I put my desired text there.

_Enhancement_

If during the .OFX import matching some input box that I could enter my
memo/description text would appear as I pick the proper matching
account. Again that yellow line that has the desired target account is
always blank in the memo/description and may be the likely candidate for
the text target. If I could ad that user inputted text during the import
transaction matching I wouldn't need to move desired transactions for
memo/description into a temporary register as I do in my current work flow.

c ya...  - Jeff

--
Jeff Albrecht
KF7CRU @jhalbrecht