[GNC] GnuCash and Swedish accounting legislation

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 9 18:59:11 EDT 2020

On 2020-08-09 11:58, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Aug 9, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> You probably know this, but just on the off chance that you don't:
>>
>> In the File » Properties dialog, there is a setting "Day threshold for
>> read-only transactions." If change the default 0 in that box to a
>> number, then transactions more than that many days before today can't be
>> edited.
>>
>> It would be a lot more useful if we could set a date, in my opinion, but
>> it's better than nothing.

> Really? ISTM that would be painful to use because you'd have to frequently change the date. I could understand if you wanted to be able to set a period selector, e.g. all transactions before the beginning of the current month are read-only.

This may be a matter of different users having different use cases.

Mine is straightforward (to me): Following Adrien's recommendation, I
don't actually close each month. But I want to make sure that I don't
inadvertently fumble the date of a new transaction and put it into last
month, or accidentally change a transaction of last month because of an
errant mouse click.

As GC is set up now, to achieve that I would have to change the number
of days every day, which is, as you say, painful. If I could just set
"no alterations of anything dated 2020-07-31 or earlier", that would be
quite simple, and I'd only have to change it once a month.

What's your use case for setting number of days, if you're willing to say?

(I'm not suggesting removing the number-of-days setting, if there's any
reasonable chance someone actually wants it. But surely it would not be
hard to add a "freeze transactions before specified date" setting, and
unless I miss my guess it would prove to be more popular.)
.
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com