[GNC] envelope method, equity sub-accounts, cash vs. hybrid vs. accrual accounting

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Aug 9 20:24:27 EDT 2020

The virtual accounts should not be included in a Balance Sheet. Neither
will they affect an Income Statement.

Trying to include them in either would of course, make those reports
incorrect.

Once again, I'm not advocating putting these in the tree under Equity.

Let's take the example of Envelope Budgeting. (since that was the
original case)

I 'allocate' my earnings periodically to various envelopes based on a
formula to meet my needs for various categories of expenses. The money
doesn't physically go anywhere, is not paid to anyone and is neither an
expense or liability at this point. It is still my asset. I just want to
remind myself it isn't available to spend on anything but the intended
purpose. (leaving any remainder open for contingencies)

The virtual accounts allow me to do this. (and they should be asset
accounts as noted)

When I make the real-world expenditure (or incur the expense if accrued)
is when the expense gets recognized just as if the virtual accounts
never existed. And yes, that might be in one lump, because that is what
really happened.

That's the entire point of the virtual tree. To specifically *not*
record that expense until I'm really suppose to when it actually
happens. ('happens' here might be paid, or it might mean incurred)

I don't think cash vs. accrual has any bearing on this. I can follow
accrual methods and still want to earmark assets but not want actual
liabilities or expenses to be overstated, or assets to be understated at
any point in time.

Certainly, a built-in budgeting option along these lines would be nice.
I use the Budget Module as-is, but it doesn't quite work the way I need
it to for this method.

Regards,
Adrien