[GNC] GnuCash and Swedish accounting legislation

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 11 14:29:19 EDT 2020

On 2020-08-11 06:41, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:

> The point is less that the books can't be modified than whether any post
> final approval modification could be easily detected.

Yes and no.

That is _one_ motivation for making a lock. But many of us are using GC
as individuals, not as corporate treasurers. For us, I daresay, the
chief motivation for locking transactions by date would be to prevent
ourselves from accidentally changing something by mistake.

I can't speak for everyone, but for myself: in the early days of a
month, when as I've finished reconciling statements and making accrual
entries for the previous month, I'd like to lock my file up through and
including the last day of that month. If it's August 2nd and I lock
"everything up to 2 days ago," that doesn't help me because as August
progresses I will still have transactions and bills that may need to be
entered for earlier in August.

I'm not saying everyone should follow my process. But I don't understand
why so many people seem resistant to the idea that a user might want to
lock all transactions on or before a fixed date, not some rolling day
interval.

Stan Brown
https://Brownmath.com
https://oakroadsystems.com