[GNC] How to treat managed accounts or funds with fixed price

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 12:32:58 EDT 2020

Based on advice received previously on this list, I have stopped
following the individual equities in my managed investment accounts and
instead adjust the total value of the account periodically. The accounts
are represented in GC as generic "Asset" accounts.

However, at least in GC 2.6.19, this results in the accounts being
excluded from portfolio reports, even if I check "Include accounts with
no shares" on the general tab of the report configuration. If I seect
the managed accounts, they are unselected as soon as I click "Apply".

Do later versions of GC handle this differently, or do I need to find a
workaround?  IF so, what approach is recommended?

The situation is somewhat similar to investing in funds with a fixed
share price (such as money market funds, whose price is usually fixed at
USD 1).  In this case the fluctuation in value is reflected in the
number of shares.

The advice I have seen on handling money market funds in GC is to simply
treat money market funds as bank accounts, but this will also prevent
them from appearing in portfolio reports.

Do I need to create a fictitious equity to represent each managed
account?  If so, which equity type should I use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.