[GNC] mysql gnucash

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Aug 18 10:18:56 EDT 2020

Op maandag 17 augustus 2020 19:11:13 CEST schreef andy ngo:
> Hi there:
> Up to now, I've been used
> Gnucash 3.2
> in Ubuntu 18.04
> with mysql 5.7.31
>
> My old laptop is now too old and needs to retire.
> So I bought a new one and install Gnucash, mysql ...
>
> Gnucash 4.1
> Build ID: Flathub 4.1-2
> Finance::Quote: 1.49
> in Ubuntu 20.04
> with mysql 8.0.21
>
> Now, I can't connect to mysql anymore.
>
> I couldn't open the old file. Then I tried to create a new one, nothing
> worked.
>
> I did install
> libdbi1 libdbi-dev
> libdbd-mysql

When using the flathub package, these are irrelevant. The gnucash flatpak should inlcude these.

> I've used Gnucash since 2013.  Every time I changed a new computer (this is
> the 4th time), I had this problem. The last time was in 2018. I'm getting
> old now and I couldn't remember how I did fix it.

What db connection settings do you use ? If you use "localhost" instead of "127.0.0.1", that is
likely the cause. The former will tell the mysql client to use unix file sockets. These are not
permitted by default by the flatpak sandbox. You can enable permissions for this on your
gnucash flatpak, though I don't know offhand where the unix socket is located. You'll have to
figure that out first (it will look like a file on your system somewhere) and then use the flatpak
override commmand to tell it to allow access to that file for the org.gnucash.GnuCash package.

Unsing 127.0.0.1 on the other hand will force mysql to use a real network connection. Those are
not restricted in the gnucash flatpak.

More details on this issue can be found here:
https://github.com/flathub/org.gnucash.GnuCash/issues/17[1]

Regards,

Geert

--------