[GNC] Surprised to like dark mode on Linux

boldstripe michael.nabble at wengam.com
Wed Aug 19 11:29:12 EDT 2020

I'd given up on 'dark mode' registers in Gnucash some time ago. It was
difficult to read and I resigned myself to setting 'Use Gnucash built in
color theme' in Preferences>Register. Otherwise I use the Arc Dark theme
system-wide in Debian Bullseye.

But I was pleasantly surprised to discover that dark mode is actually
usable--even attractive--with the following settings:
- Preferences>Graphics: uncheck all four options
- View>Double Line: enable

I always liked the idea of Double Line registers in principle, simply for
the extra information displayed, but I found the alternating Gnucash line
colors distracting so I turned it off when I did not need those fields. Now,
with a uniform background color, Double Line becomes a welcome (and minimal)
visual distinction between transactions, without the alternating colors.

I would use this as my default (and may experiment further with it) but for
one thing (so far): the text colors when an entry is highlighted make the
entries difficult to read because of low contrast.