[GNC] Old-New user with an upgrade problem

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Aug 22 02:21:17 EDT 2020

The VM finished and restarted. Sure enough, python3.7.3 is installed by
default.

If you upgraded from a previous release, you might have pinned python to
an earlier version and forgot, or the upgrade did not go as planned.

If this was a fresh install of Buster, I'm not sure what happened, or
why it won't upgrade to python3.7.

I was able to successfully install GnuCash 3.4 (albeit with a ton of
dependencies!) and it started just fine.

I then followed the advice in the Wiki:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Debian, added the buster-backports repo
and upgraded to GnuCash 3.10, which went without issue, and it started
up just fine. (3.11 is the final 3.x version)

I didn't try the 4.1 Flatpak, but I can't imagine too much difficulty
there. (I have easily installed it on Ubuntu, but not debian)

As noted before, it is possible using apt-get to skip dependencies.
(dpkg can do it too) But that might result in issues down the road when
doing updates and remembering what you did now that might cause them.

Regards,
Adrien