[GNC] GnuCash Flatpak on GalliumOS Linux

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Aug 24 15:20:46 EDT 2020

Op maandag 24 augustus 2020 19:46:55 CEST schreef Art Chimes:
> Anyone have any experience with GnuCash installed via Flatpak on
> GalliumOS? (It's a niche distro designed to turn a Chromebook into a
> Linux machine.)
>
> I installed GC 4.1 and it runs fine ... except that it doesn't
> recognize the USB drive where I my data file lives. The USB drive and
> the data file, which I copied over from a working GnuCash installation
> on a Windows machine, show up fine in Thunar (Linux) file manager and
> via terminal CLI. The "open file" dialog format looks like GnuCash's,
> not like something I've seen on my Gallium machine.
>
> If I copy the data file to a location that shows up in the open-file
> dialog (e.g. Desktop) it loads fine.
>
> Any ideas how I can remove the USB drive's cloak of invisibility from
> the open-file dialog?

Hi Art,

What you experience is the restrictions imposed by the flatpak sandbox. By default it only allows
access to files in your home directory.

You can widen the access by using the flatpak override command like so

flatpak override --filesystem=host org.gnucash.GnuCash

The "host" option in the command above is fairly new. Can you try this and report back if this
works for you ?

Regards,

Geert