[GNC] Capital Gain Calculations on Split Stocks

D. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 24 23:06:58 EDT 2020

Christopher,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to figure out how I'd trigger the --extra flag in Windows and take a look at that report. It may make the whole gains process a little easier. As it is, a statement with 10-15 sales transactions can take quite some time to work through. I understand generally how it all is working, although determining which lots the broker has designated for sale can be challenging. (It also took a while to figure out how to force the software to use a disparate set of lots for one sale. It turns out that you have to sequence the lot selection so that the open lot is the lot selected last. I could imagine an impossible-to-achieve in gnucash situation, where a sale used multiple incomplete lots, leaving them both open. Lots as currently implemented couldn't do this, although i honestly can't imagine a real world use for this.)

I tried to follow the discussion at bug 797796, but have to admit it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm more concerned about how the gains are recorded as valued transactions than with the reports, but I'll take a look at the report shortly.

Thanks,
David