[GNC] Capital Gain Calculations on Split Stocks

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 03:05:21 EDT 2020

P.S.  The reason for David's difficulty is that the Stock Split
Assistant creates a zero value lot - see attached screenshot.

What it *should* do in these circumstances, IMHO, is:
(1) Scrub all the existing non-zero lots to zero.
(2) Create one new lot for every one of those lots with the post-split
number of units and the original cost base.

Verbose, yes, but it does leave a clear audit trail and facilitates
subsequent lot by lot sales and capital gains/loss calculations.

Maybe I am missing something, but as far as I can see the Stock Split
Assistant just creates one additional zero value lot for the
addition/reduction of units, leaving all existing lots unaltered.
Whilst the ledger itself looks correct on screen (number of units has
changed and value has not), it breaks Lot Accounting.

Geoff
=====